Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Senior Bunion by Dr. John Crist

One very common refrain heard at Gulfcoast Foot and Ankle is “I am too old to have my bunions fixed” or “my doctor up north told me to wait until I can’t stand the pain and then have my bunions fixed. Well I waited and they hurt now and I am too old to have them fixed.”

These two beliefs have led to the disintegration of the lives of many elderly people. Many seniors will stop walking or begin to cut large holes in their shoes and their quality of life is diminished.

The uncomfortable bunion is one of the most common complaints from patients for Dr. Crist at Gulfcoast Foot and Ankle. The typical patient states that his or her bunions have been there a long time and they ar egiving him or her problems in shoes but that they have been told there is nothing that can be done for them.

This is very frustrating. Throughout my career, the active 85 year old has been a regular in my office and I have found that people are able to heal from bunion surgery well into their 70s and 80s. It is very rewarding to enable patients to wear regular shoes and to start or continue activities. They may take longer than somebody that's 15 years old to heal from their surgery but they are able to heal well into their nineties. Although the type of procedure may have to be adjusted, seniors can heal and be weightbearing during the healing period.

The Doctors at Gulfcoast Foot and Ankle would appreciate the opportunity to help you remain active and to explain in more detail how correcting foot deformities can lead to a healthier life.

For even more information on bunions please visit Bunion Center of Naples

No comments:

Post a Comment